Location: Eynsham, Oxfordshire UK
Type of Role: Full Time
Salary Range: £55,000-£65,000 depending on knowledge and experience
Overall purpose of the job
The Software Engineer will assist in the development and control of our adaptive fluid lens technology, working closely with other disciplines such as research scientists, optical, mechanical, test and production engineers.
The successful candidate will have a broad knowledge of software development for electronic control systems and will be able to:
- Gather user and system requirements and translate these into system specifications.
- Develop, test, debug and deploy firmware and control software for equipment users.
- Design lab-based experiments and proof of concept using Arduino type systems
- Document design work and prepare reports, ensuring design files and information are kept up to date and stored in accordance with company procedures.
- Ensure on time delivery of customer deliverables and project milestones.
- The role may involve working with technical representatives of customers and suppliers and therefore good communication and presentation skills are a prerequisite.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Technical ownership of software development, including system requirements and specifications
- Develop firmware, control software and graphical user interfaces
- Perform risk assessments and participate in risk analysis at a technical level
- Conduct cross-functional failure investigations with other team members to solve complex problems
- Provide process documentation and operating instructions and ensure timely reports are provided for all changes
- Manage cost and time constraints
- Develop in house best practices, processes and capabilities
Experience & skills
- 5 years+ experience in software development in a high-tech, multi-disciplinary environment
- Firmware development
- PC software development to integrate with developed hardware.
- The ability to programme in a number of languages / systems for example: Matlab, C#, C++, Python.
- Experience of developing software for eye-tracking, micro-controllers, micro-motors and capacitive touch sensor controls would be an advantage.
- First-class experimental and investigation skills
- Excellent technical skills and an analytical thinker
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with health and safety regulations
- Must be able to work efficiently with precision and accuracy
- Essential: Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in Software Engineering or a related subject
- Proactive self-starter and team player
- Thoroughness and attention detail whilst able to get the job done in a timely manner
- Eligible to work in the UK
The successful candidate will be able to help develop end to end systems and improve existing equipment for product development, including design and build of prototypes and test equipment. Our employees all share the same philosophy of working hard, having fun and being part of one cohesive team.