Our team of scientists and engineers are developing the materials, technology, components and manufacturing methods to make variable focus lenses a practical reality for our hi-tech customers.
As a Engineering Project Manager, you will support a number of research and product development projects with work planning, progress reporting, supplier management and risk management; including leading daily stand-ups in an agile-style development environment.
Key duties and responsibilities
• Set up clear project briefs; map timelines, dependencies and key milestones; work with teams to break down complex projects into discrete work packages focussed on project deliverables
• Customer relationships – liaise with customers to understand their requirements and priorities and provide updates on project activity
• Work with the project teams to prioritise and plan their workload to meet project milestones on a monthly – quarterly – annual forecast, depending on the scope of the project.
• Manage “Agile”-style development – run sprint planning, review meetings and daily stand-ups
• Risk management – identify and assess potential problems, take action to minimise impact on the projects
• Report on progress against project deliverables, timing and cost
• Manage supplier relationships – set up non-disclosure agreements, contracts, purchase orders and ensure delivery of materials, components, equipment or services.
- You have managed projects in a hi-tech industry, working with high tolerance precision devices such as medical devices, consumer electronics, optical systems or small electro-mechanical devices.
- You are familiar with formal project management methodologies, but you also understand that working on new technologies is unpredictable and needs a flexible, pragmatic approach.
- You’re a great problem solver, with experience of prioritisation, risk management and continuous improvement tools. Experience of “Agile” development in a hardware environment would be helpful.
- You understand end-to-end product delivery from research to customer and you have seen the integration of the outcomes of scientific research with engineering design, manufacturing and supply chain (inbound and outbound)
- You have worked with external customers, managing contractual deliverables
- You have excellent communication skills – your written and verbal English is fluent and you produce concise, clear, high quality presentations and reports
- You are a proficient user of Microsoft Office Applications, including Microsoft Project.
- You have worked in a regulated / ISO controlled environment – familiarity with ISO 13485, ISO9001 MDD and FDA 21 CFR regulations are desirable.
• Educated to Degree level – ideally in a numerate discipline – science or engineering
•PRINCE2 / APM / Agile SCRUM master or similar qualification
Any other required or desirable criteria or information
- Team player
- Willing to constructively challenge team members to deliver stretching goals
- Ability to see both the big picture and drill into detail
- Highly organised, good at juggling competing priorities
- Dealing with uncertainty: comfortable working with a large number of “unknowns” and high levels of project risk
- Flexible and willing to learn
- Positive, energetic and enthusiastic about new technologies
- Keen to work in a fast-moving rapidly changing entrepreneurial environment
- Eligible to work in the UK