Location: Eynsham, Oxfordshire UK
Salary Range: £40,000 to £65,000 per annum
Overall purpose of the job
The Design Engineer will be part of a cross-functional team, responsible for the design, CAD, prototyping and early stage process engineering for the optical elements of 3rd party AR/VR applications. This is a customer facing role and requires excellent communication and presentation skills.
The Design Engineer will be responsible for managing the design process for a number of components and sub-assemblies, from problem analysis to concepting and specification up to prototype release; including production and testing of prototypes and supporting development of the manufacturing process to full scale production. The role therefore requires close and efficient coordination with the manufacturing team and liaison with third party suppliers of materials, sub-components and equipment.
The product design challenge will require working with a variety of materials, production and finishing techniques, including plastic moulding, coating, and mechanical assemblies with electronic actuation. Experience of designing precision plastic components, complex mechanisms with electronic actuation and control, and optical components will be a distinct advantage.
Key duties and responsibilities
Device / Component Concept and Design
- Leadership of problem analysis, ideation, evaluation and appropriate research
- Concept development through to implementation of inventive design solutions
- Detail design with proficient knowledge of appropriate manufacturing processes
- High standard of engineering work, design control, robust design, tolerance stack analysis, design for manufacture, design for assembly, input into DFMEA’s
- Design and production of jigs & fixturing for design verification
- Understanding and creation of precision complex mechanical systems
- Highly proficient in CAD modelling using Solidworks and generation of 2D detailed drawings
- Ability to work methodically, consistently & to deadlines
- Follow good practice for design data management
Prototype production and testing
- Work with production team to use existing or set up relationships with material, sub-component, and tooling suppliers
- Physical prototype production and testing
- Contribute to design and creation of production fixtures that ensure production tolerances can be achieved
- Work with suppliers to ensure delivery of quality, cost-effective components and tooling.
- Test method development and product testing to design specification
Experience & skills
- 3-4 years+ experience in process or manufacturing engineering in a high-tech, multi-disciplinary environment
- Experience of design and development of hardware in small electro-mechanical systems an advantage, knowledge of control systems and software preferable
- Working in a high-tech multidisciplinary environment with experience of customer-facing engineering consultancy an advantage
- Working in an environment regulated to international standards preferred but not essential
- Aptitude to learn, take on and resolve complex problems
- Communicate and work within a wider new product introduction team, including working with scientific as well as engineering disciplines
- Managing suppliers & outsourced deliverables
- Be proactive, self-start and priorities tasks effectively
- Adapt and evolve as part of a small design team and growing business.
- Seek new technologies appropriate to the development challenge and establish the supply chain to fulfil.
- Ability to work well both within a team and under own initiative
- Pragmatic approach and drive for results
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Keen to work in a fast-moving rapidly changing entrepreneurial environment
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Available for limited long-haul international travel
- Bachelors / Masters Degree in a Mechanical Engineering or a related subject